What is microblogging?
A service that allows users to publish brief text messages, usually no more than 140 characters, with links to other Web sites, photos or videos.

Why microblog?

  • Allows you to share a link to the article you’ve written.
  • Your content will get read much quicker.
  • Connects you with other journalists and readers.

Why is community important?

  • Response and reaction is the WHOLE point of microblogging!
  • The biggest benefit of microblogging is learning about your audience.
  • Invite your audiences to work with you.
  • Your audiences could help you look for leads, find background or other information on a particular subject/event.

80-20 Rule.
Use 80 percent of your posts to add something of value to the community and the other 20 percent can be used for self-promotion (links to your other articles, blogs, etc.)

Ambient awareness or ambient intimacy: the ability to maintain a constant connection with others without a direct communication tool like phone or e-mail; allows for one-to-many communication

The emergency of the “Real-Time Web.”

  • It allows readers to know what is happening right now.
  • Users on a scene can start spreading the word immediately.
  • Countless news stories break first on Twitter.

Advice to journalist students…

  • “One great thing about Twitter — and this is why it is so useful to student journalists — is that after a while it trains you to look for interesting things around you (and think how you can communicate that in 140 characters,” said Bradshaw, a journalism lecturer in Birmingham, England.
  • “The opportunity of social media is important to younger journalists just starting out. News companies expect that interns and fresh-out-of-college new hires will possess a proficiency in social media. In fact, proficiency with new technology can help you land your first job” Briggs said.